16 February, 2009

A quote will cheer your day!

I thought I'd share a story with you, that started me on my way to collecting quotes. My mom used to have this book full of quotes that she collected, and wrote down. The book was very, what we crafty girls would call, primitive. It was just a small 3 ring binder, and I remember it being covered with something like contact paper printed with small flowers. Obviously this was back in the day, before Michael's and Hobby Lobby, where you could buy something to bling up your stuff.

We were in the basement one day, after I was grown and out of the house, going through some stuff, when she pulled it out and showed me. I flipped through it and thought "What a cool idea". She told me she had just written stuff down, as it inspired her, and the book had come to be.

Well, years went by, and I thought I would like to start my own, so I got just an inexpensive blank book, and added a few I had found here and there.



My book is about half full now, with many inpriring quotes that I turn to now and again, to lift me up, and help me to be a better person. I noticed in looking through it recently, that I have a lot of quotes that relate to courage, and trying harder, and not being afraid. That probably stems from being picked on when I was in Elementary school.

I had no clue how to defend myself, and I wished my parents would've taught me how to stand up for myself. Trust me, it wasn't in me, I just had no idea!

Anyhooo.... I'd like to share a couple of my favorites, and then, I'll add a few here and there, when I post, as a tradition. I'll also challenge you, my readers, to go out and get a blank journal that speaks to your soul, and start your own quote book. Start filling it with things that uplift and inspire you, and read it often.

Some of my favorite quotes are by Eleanor Roosevelt

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face...You must do the thing you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt.

and I love this one:

Life is like a field of newly fallen snow; where I choose to walk every step will show. - unknown


My mom's book? I don't know what ever happened to it. When she died last summer (from Alzheimers) my sister and I went through everything with my dad, and I didn't see it in her things. Maybe she thought it wasn't important, and threw it away at some point. I know I will keep my book, and someday give it to my daughter, so she can see a glimpse into her mom's life, and what made me happy.

Mom, I dedicate my quote book to you, for all the love and inspiration you gave to me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin