19 April, 2009

Paper banner tutorial

Good morning, all!

Today I thought I'd show you a simple little craft you can do, with a computer, some ribbon, and some printed scrapbook paper.

I saw this on someone else's blog, and was going to give her credit and link back, but her blog disappeared, so what's a girl to do but take full credit for the idea?

I'm sure alot of you have done different versions of this, but here's mine.
This is a paper banner, in which I made my daughter's name to hang in her room.

First, I downloaded some fonts from dafont, and 1001 free fonts. You'll need a chunkier font for this to work.. I chose Callistroke. Edit: I forgot to add that you need to format the font to be outline only, so it prints correctly.
Then print out the letters you want, doing a test on plain computer paper first, to make sure they're all matching in size.




Note: I didn't know how to make my font really large, to fit a 8 1/2 x 11 size, so I found out and here's how: highlight your letter, then in your toolbar, choose format> fonts> then adjust the font size in the box, playing with it until you reach the desired size you want.

When everything looks good, print your letters out on your printed cardstock.



Mount on heavier cardstock, to make your letters sturdier, then cut out.


Punch holes in the top of each letter in a spot where the letters will hang balanced.


String through with ribbon, jute, string, or whatever makes yours unique!













As you can see in the close ups, the font I chose has lines inside the font. I think it gives it a little more of a 3d look, not so flat.


This would be a cute project to do with any word, like HOME, or FAITH, or your family name. Be creative, and have fun!


I also wanted to share small project with vinyl lettering I did for Macie's room.


I ordered the vinyl lettering through Uppercase Living, but almost everyone knows someone who has their own vinyl cutter nowadays. (Is that a word?)


I ordered the lettering mirrored, which means they cut the vinyl with the sticky side on the front.


I removed the back from the frame, then stuck the lettering on the glass from the back, then added the flower last.


You'll need to hot glue the glass back to the inside edge of the frame to secure it. Embellish with ribbon to hang. Super simple!


This week will bring my long awaited silverware project, and maybe a couple of other surprises and home decor ideas from Jo Packhams book I talked about last week. It's supposed to be a really warm week here, so I'll be able to do more of my projects.

Have a beautiful day, my bloggy friends.





2 comments:

Brenda Eason said...

Love the work so beautiful.

Jeanne Oliver said...

So cute. Land of Nod sells these and these would be so easy to make.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin